 Off-Topic / Debate / 20799
Re: One more reason why I'm refusing to shop in Wal*Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 13:32:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
And to Wal*Mart, who succumbs to this type of 'peer-pressure'--well, your
decision--my decision is to not shop where I'm going to be 'protected' from
life.

LOL, Why do I find it funny that activist Christians threaten to boycott
Wal-Mart if they do not obey them. Then, when they cave to that pressure,
Dave is unhappy and in turn threatens the exact same type of boycott,
meanwhile criticizing the Christian group and all of Christianity for their
actions. Maybe Wal-Mart will cave to Dave’s threats and we can start this
process all over again. :)

Scott

These aren't activist Christians--these are pseudo-Christians who haven't
got a clue, and only want to enforce their morals on everyone else.
Christian activists are the ones who were marching in Toronto a few months
back protesting against the war.  Christian activists are the folks who send
resources to poor/embattled countries/peoples.  If sometimes they are one
and the same as the folks who lead letter writing campaigns and make folks
guilty for selling Maxim, to those I say, "You got it partly right, but take
the next step."

If you don't want the mag--don't buy the mag.  It's that simple.  Sure keep
Velvet and Hustler and other "adult" content off the shelves in mass markets
to prevent the kids from accessing such material easily.  But is 'Maxim' an
"Adult" magazine?  If so, why?  If you come up with "it has scantily clad
babes and talks about "The 10 best ways of pleasing your lover", then get
rid of Cosmo, Woman's Weekly, et al.  Oh, and Nat. Geo whilst you're at it
'cause I've seen some topless foreign babes in a few issues and didn't they
run that article about 100 years of bathing suits?

It's absolutely amazing how "passionate" people, who feel they're right, get
all 'up in arms' to stop something, and as soon as the unvocal majority wake
up and say, "Hey waittaminit!  What you're doing and saying is actually
wrong", these 'passionate' folks get all in a tither 'cause they're being
questioned about it.  What--we're suppose to let these things go thru
unscrutinized?

Quoteth Scott:

"
Then, when they cave to that pressure,
Dave is unhappy and in turn threatens the exact same type of boycott,
meanwhile criticizing the Christian group and all of Christianity for their
actions.
"

And again I say, these folks may call themselves "Christian", but they
aren't behaving in a very Christ-like fashion.

Dave K