 Off-Topic / Debate / 20314
Re: Guess who's next?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:19:53 GMT

Let's play a game!  We all throw in 10 bucks and state, for the record, who
the next coutry targeted for 'WoMD disarmament' and 'harbouring terr'sts'--

I guess Syria

That's not hard guess, not even worth even money in Vegas. That's all the
news stations can talk about these days with little exciting going on now.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/14/sprj.irq.war.main/index.html

No UN mandate, but "baah!  We no need no steenkin' UN mandate!" anymore.

I don't see it happening, would be convienent as we already have the troops
and equipment over there, but highly unlikely. Bear in mind Husein already
had a cease fire agreement and 17 UN resolutions it blatantly defied. He hid
weapons he was know no have, when inspectors found contraband in '98 he
kicked them out. Time and time again he stood defiant in the face of
pressure from the UN.

Syria signed resolution 1441 for Iraq to disarm! Granted they are like
Disneyland for terrorists, but it is mostly for the anti-Isreal types. With
their willingness to hide, harbor, and help Huseins cronies during this
conflict there is no question that scrutiny should be directed at Syria. If
14 years, 17 UN resolutions, and over a year of mindless diplomat debate
rage over Syria's terrorist ties I believe the US would be willing to do the
heavy lifting for the world once again.

Finally I still don't get why Husein doesn't get more blame for the start of
this war; he is the cause of it. If he had once, just once, fully complied
with the UN resolutions, first off there wouldn't be 17 of them, but
secondly he could have averted war, and maintained his tyranical hold over
his people. There was no suprise attack here, he saw the forces amassing,
felt the political pressure, he chose a path that led to war.

Scott