 Off-Topic / Debate / 18656
Re: Historical fudging...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:44:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Actually, I think the real test of an invention's precedence comes in its
fecundity.  It's all well and good that the ancient Greeks developed the
principle of the steam engine, but if it wasn't used, then it's irrelevant
except as a novelty of history.

So... by today's standards, the Wright Bros. invented the *Motor-glider*,
and brazilian inventor Santos-Dumond invented the *Airplane*. I only say
this cuz' the WB control system *was not used in subsequent Airplanes*  - I
mean, it is not practical to bend metal wings everytime the plane must take
a curve!
IIRC, Santos-Dumond invented the modern controls for airplanes in 1906,
where the manche is connected to movable flaps on wings' edges; so if his
invention was the most "fertile" one, why shouldn't HE be given credit instead?

  That's a good question.  It seems to me that he should get greater
recognition, but would he have built the control system if the Wright
brothers hadn't invented the motor-glider?  If he would have, then there's
no question that his name should also be attached prominently to airplane
history.  If not, then his invention might simply qualify as a modification
or derivation of the first working motor-glider.

Anyway, here's a news source that obviously records the Wright brothers as
the inventors:  http://www.theonion.com/onion3847/history_3847.html

     Dave!