 Off-Topic / Debate / 18666
Re: Historical fudging...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:38:49 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl writes:

That's why you make composite wings ;-)

Actually, current research is moving away from the "ugly" or "dirty" flaps to wings
that flex.  Less drag, more control.

Hmmm... wouldn't composite wings prove too costly for large passenger planes?
They sure look like they can improve performance, and that is an invaluable
factor when we are talking about fighter-jets (for instance). But would the
increased cost be compensated by the decrease in fuel consumption, in the
case of civilian airplanes? If not, few companies would actually buy such
aircrafts for commercial duties! Maybe some corporate jets, yes...

I suspect aircraft are expensive either way.  The real question I would have
is what would the psychological impact be on passengers who look out and see
the wing of the aircraft bending up and down a lot?  They might get
additionally unnerved when they remember that some of the fuel tanks are
inside of those bending wings.    ;o

The article I was reading was mentioning that the amount of flex needed in a wing was FAR
less than the movement of a flap, as the wing surface was much larger than the flaps, and
slight flexing made quite a difference in the airflow over the wing.

I seem to remember the article mentioning that you may not even see the flex.  But it
definitely wouldn't be like a gull flapping by ;-)

I wish I could remember the magazine and month.  Probably Popular Mechanics or Popular
Science a few months back, but I was just reading it in the store to chew up some time.

It is kind of like the fictional Asimov Robots or Red Dwarf mechanoids where
android designers scrapped more realistic human-like designs because they
made people insecure that they could not see the difference between robots
and people.  Sometimes the best thing technologically is not the best thing
sociologically.

Ah, but if they can't see the wing flex?

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/