 Off-Topic / Debate / 18655
Re: Historical fudging...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:42:05 GMT

Pedro Silva wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Oh dear,

we wouldn't want the americans to be beaten at something, now would we...

Impossible!  We're the greatest nation in the country!

Actually, I think the real test of an invention's precedence comes in its
fecundity.  It's all well and good that the ancient Greeks developed the
principle of the steam engine, but if it wasn't used, then it's irrelevant
except as a novelty of history.

So... by today's standards, the Wright Bros. invented the *Motor-glider*,
and brazilian inventor Santos-Dumond invented the *Airplane*. I only say
this cuz' the WB control system *was not used in subsequent Airplanes*  - I
mean, it is not practical to bend metal wings everytime the plane must take
a curve!

That's why you make composite wings ;-)

Actually, current research is moving away from the "ugly" or "dirty" flaps to wings
that flex.  Less drag, more control.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/