 Off-Topic / Debate / 18583
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:26:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Harvey Henkelman writes:
This should be interesting to watch...

http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=121

I have quite strong feelings on this, but no answer on the poll came close
to what I'd want to say. From the poll:

"Yes, I believe that LUGNET be related to LEGO® only"

From a design perspective, yes. Get rid of it. It's not Lego related, and
has often contributed to bad impressions of Lugnet.

"No, I like to discuss politics and religion on a LEGO®-orientated website"

I also agree with this-- from a Lugnet user perspective. I like 90% of the
o-t.debate crowd's debate style, and I think it's a suprisingly better
debate environment than other "debate" forums I've seen (not that I've
shopped around extensively, but a little). Plus it's easier for me since
it's already in a place I look every day.

"More strict guidelines should be in place as to what can be posted on
lugnet.off-topic.debate"

50/50. I like the idea that some o-t.debate threads can "spill over" into a
designated area; but I don't (from a design perspective) like the idea that
threads can be started here, or continue to the point of being a life of
their own, apart from Lugnet. However, as a Luget user, I'd be sad to see
that happen.

"Although most of the topics discussed on lugnet.off-topic.debate are
depressing and absolutely contribute nothing to te enjoyment of the
site...it should be left as is"

'Topics are depressing and contribute nothing'? Again, design perspective,
yes, user perspective, no. 'Should be left as is'? Ditto.

I think the real danger is when it is detrimental to the intended purpose of
the site (Lego discussion/info). When it becomes harder for users to enjoy
Lugnet's intended aspects because of X, it's time to re-evaluate X.

Take BrickShelf, for example: Used to be you could upload all the non-Lego
stuff you wanted. Wasn't encouraged, but once in a while it was nice to be
able to do it. But when people uploaded porn & other controvertial
materials, it was time to reconsider allowing people to upload whatever they
wanted. Ditto (I think) BrickShelf's bandwidth problems. Uploading unlimited
files to unlimited folders and allowing unlimited image sizes is great as an
option. But when it starts slowing the response time down to a grinding
halt, it's time to re-evaluate.

o-t.debate? If you're a Lugnet user, you can (should be able to) configure
your Web Browser/Mail Reader/News Reader to ignore the group. If you think
it should go, you can effectively MAKE it go (for you). However, if (for
example) o-t.debate started eating up bandwidth because of some sort of
ridiculous activity, or started munching up disk space on the server side
(both highly unlikely, I'd think), then it's time to re-evaluate.

Anyway, I say leave it alone. I like it now and again. So do other people.
And those who don't have the option to both ignore and/or eliminate it from
their viewer.

DaveE