 Off-Topic / Debate / 18481
Re: Also seen on CNN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:20:08 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/12/02/scotus.sodomy/index.html

Let's hope the Supremes reverse their 1986 thinking... government has no
business legislating behaviour between/among consenting adults.

That's just plain medieval.  I particularly like the fact that progressive
Texas forbids "deviate sexual intercourse with another individual of the
same sex."

What, according to Texas law, would constitute non-deviant sexual
intercourse with another individual of the same sex?

If one enjoys it? ;)

I liked this [from OutSmart]
http://www.outsmartmagazine.com/issue/i04-01/leftout.html
==+==
... I think the most absurd holding in the opinion is the majority’s conclusion
that the Anti-Sodomy Statute does not distinguish persons by their sexual
orientation. Indeed, the majority actually wrote that "while homosexuals may be
disproportionately affected by the statute, we cannot assume homosexual conduct
is limited only to those possessing a homosexual ‘orientation.’" In other
words, the majority concluded that since it is possible for heterosexuals to
engage in homosexual conduct, a statute that outlaws only homosexual conduct
does not single out homosexuals. It keeps straight people from committing
homosexual sex acts, too.
==+==

Has the white-american-Christian-right struck again? It was the
white-UK-Christian-right that held us back for a while:

In mainland Europe, the age of consent is apparently even lower:
France: 15
Germany: 16
Ireland: 16
Italy: 14