 Off-Topic / Debate / 18479
Re: Also seen on CNN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:52:09 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/12/02/scotus.sodomy/index.html

Let's hope the Supremes reverse their 1986 thinking... government has no
business legislating behaviour between/among consenting adults.

That's just plain medieval.  I particularly like the fact that progressive
Texas forbids "deviate sexual intercourse with another individual of the
same sex."

What, according to Texas law, would constitute non-deviant sexual
intercourse with another individual of the same sex?  And does the law
prohibit deviant sexual intercourse (whatever that means) with an individual
of the opposite sex?  For that matter, does it prohibit deviant sexual
intercourse with numerous others of the same sex?

Here's another gem from the article:

Although only 13 states now criminalize consensual sodomy, a Texas state
appeals court found the law "advances a legitimate state interest, namely,
preserving public morals."

"Only" 13 states criminalize it, which is 11 more than recognize same-sex
marriages.

    Dave!

And didn't I hear an interesting tid-bit on the radio this weekend, that
judges in Taiwan (or somewhere) have ruled that oral sex is *not* considered
sex at all--I believe this was in regard to 'committing adultery'.  As it
stands, if your spouse has oral sex with someone who isn't you, you cannot
sue for divorce on the grounds of adultery.

Though if your spouse is having oral sex with someone who isn't you and you
have an issue with that, there are probably bigger issues with your
marriage, and adultery is the least of your problems.

Dave K