 Off-Topic / Debate / 18474
Re: Hey you Yanks! Catch up with the "World's Mistake"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:23:49 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/books/12/02/alder.measure/index.html

In which the metric system, and the flaws therein, is quickly discussed via
a book review.

Going beyond the mistooks that the system is based on, it still is the way
to go!

Hurry up you Americans and catch up with the 'civilized world'!

Even the 'uncivilized world' has went metric ;)

The USA remains the only developed nation not to use the metric system. The
costs of this are quite high as it means that any exported products have to be
dual labelled. However, one should not overlook that fact that the American
scientific community use the metric system heavily.

To me the "English" system makes no sense. I'm often interested in volumes. The
units I can use are:

millilitres [ml]
litres [1l = 1000 ml]
cubic metres [1m^3 = 1000l]

Which is pretty simple.

However, if I were using the "English" system, I’d have these to choose from:

minim 1 [0.062 ml]
fluid dram 60 minims
teaspoon 80 minims
tablespoon 240 minims
cubic inch 265 75/77 minims
fluid ounce 480 minims
gill 1920 minims
cup 3840 minims
liquid pint 7680 minims
dry pint 8936 312/385 minims
liquid quart 15360 minims
dry quart 17873 239/385 minims
gallon 61440 minims
peck 142988 372/385  minims
cubic foot 459603 9/77 minims
bushel 571955 333/385 minims
cubic yard 12409284 12/77 minims [0.765 m^3]

Try teaching a kid all that at school! Due to the unmethodical classification
of the units, conversion between units is problematic.

How many gallons is 50 1/47 [Dry] Pints + 4 1/17 Pecks?

Scott A