 Off-Topic / Debate / 18469
Re: Hey you Yanks! Catch up with the "World's Mistake"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:13:41 GMT

I thought the Mars Observer had a different problem, as in the parts were
built by different companies that didn't communicate clearly, and that the
'finished' product wasn't tested as a unit--the problem happened something
like this--

You are describing the same problem, not a different one.

the retro rockets were suppose to fire when the landing pads connected with
the surface--the sensors to detect the surface were built into the legs and
when the legs 'bounced' on the surface, it woud trigger the rockets into firing

but what actually happened was that the initial separation of whatever heat
shield in the atmosphere, which caused the legs to 'free themselves' also
caused the legs to 'bounce' (which wasn't factored into the scenario) thus
causing the rockets to fire whilst the whole unit was still high up in the
atmosphere.

As I recall, they simply lost contact.  Looking around so we don't have to
depend on faulty memory....aha:

http://klabs.org/richcontent/Reports/Failure_Reports/MarsObserverFailureSummary.htm

Thar ya go!

-->Bruce<--