 Off-Topic / Debate / 18466
Re: Hey you Yanks! Catch up with the "World's Mistake"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:53:59 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/books/12/02/alder.measure/index.html

In which the metric system, and the flaws therein, is quickly discussed via
a book review.

Going beyond the mistooks that the system is based on, it still is the way
to go!

Hurry up you Americans and catch up with the 'civilized world'!

;)

Dave K.

Someone please correct me if I have this wrong, but I vaguely remember
something about Thomas Jefferson being largely responsible for rejecting the
metric system in this country - he had his own pet way of determing what
should be a meter that wasn't adopted.  Knowing the french and knowing
Jefferson, I'd bet on Jefferson, but then, this may all be a figment of my
imagination.

The article is wrong (or at least misleading) on the subject of the Mars
Observer.  JPL uses metric measurements as its standard.  The problem arose
when the sub-contractor didn't bother to follow the directions and used the
English measurement system and didn't tell anyone.  Kaboom.

It's all the fault of the english.  ;-)

-->Bruce<--