 Off-Topic / Debate / 18197
Re: Vote against/for...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 22:37:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fiona Dickinson writes:
The world needs to come to terms with the simple fact that the US *IS MIGHTIER
THAN THOU*  It's not pretentious, merely fact.  Be thankful that the US also
happens to be the greatest power ever to have existed on the face of the earth
AND shows unprecedented restraint WRT world aggression and expansion.  Think
about that.

Power corrupts.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Perhaps you should remember this and then start to worry about how much
power your president has.

That is why our Founding Fathers created a government of checks and balances.
Our executive branch has no such thing and absolute power.  A nice aphorism,
but not germane.

But I will hold the example our world dominance today up against any other
country in history-- show me one that has been more responsible in wielding
that power than we have.  Good luck.

-John