 Off-Topic / Debate / 17999
  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) There was once, well, a West Wing episode ;) , in which a pollster mentioned a little tale about polls-- " Polls tell us that people are sick and tired of hearing about sexual scandals of politicians, and yet the ratings of any show that (...) (22 years ago, 4-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) The funk, as I recall, was that we were hearing about the scandal to the exclusion of all else, as though it, more than anything else, actually mattered to the state of the union. Granted, Clinton is no moral giant, but neither is Gingrich, (...) (22 years ago, 4-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: <snip> No argument with any of that (you'll never see ME arguing the case that a show "ought to be banned" rather than "just turn the channel on it" so the off button is the completely appropriate (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Hmm, "misconstrued" and a "drive by". How quickly the name calling starts. If you had read my response down a few threads, you would have seen that I thought this was a fresh debate topic, not a follow-up post with a new heading to a previous (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) And later on in a different post... (...) You are absolutely correct. Start by looking in the mirror, Ed. I'll stick with my original assessment. Your first post to this thread was a driveby. (22 years ago, 6-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Ed's opinion of Larry and other trivia (was: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing")

(...) That's not exactly fair, Ed. Misconstrue isn't a name at all, it's Larry's assertion that you misunderstood his point (in this case possibly willfully). And if you consider how your note looked, I don't think "drive by" was really (...) (22 years ago, 6-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) The difference, Larry, and it is a huge one, is that I did not name call. Read what you have quoted - The first two words - "Your statement..." I responded that your statement "is blatant snobbery, self-serving, judgemental without proof, and (...) (22 years ago, 6-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Cost Of Living (was Re: Ed's opinion of Larry and other trivia)

While the schools themselves may not need money (that's debatable for many areas - if a school is falling apart from lack of money for basic maintenance along with much-needed upgrades, it needs money), the teachers do. If a teacher cannot afford to (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cost Of Living (was Re: Ed's opinion of Larry and other trivia)

(...) There are certainly places where teachers should be making more money. Schools though, waste huge sums of money in an attempt to educate. There are (private) schools that do a better job for less money without depriving the teachers. Maybe the (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)