 Off-Topic / Debate / 1793
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:18:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> writes:
[...]
Does this mean that God is caught by surprise all the time?  Probably, but
then probably not.  He can see into our hearts and our minds, and He has
determined what we're capable of.  But consider:  He's saddened a lot in the
Scriptures, yet He's also overjoyed a lot, too.  I would think that this
indicates a lot of free will at work.  He certainly has a plan for this
world (would you create one without a purpose?), and I wouldn't be surprised
if it were written down, it'd have quite a lot of "plan B's".

Questions:

If this little Universe we're in is a simple enough dynamical system that
all aspects of it can be pre-known by God, or if God can compute the answer
faster than the machine (the Universe) itself can, then why did God create
such a simple Universe?  Why not something more complex?

Can God do anything?  If the answer to that is Yes, then could He create a
Universe which is more complex than he can understand and predict and
pre-know every aspect of?  (Remember when Data asked the holodeck to create
a character that could defeat him?)  If God can do anything, can he create
something so complex that he can no longer understand it?  (It's extremely
easy, for example, for us humans to create things so complex that we can no
longer understand them.)

If God can do anything, then can he make himself disappear from his own
plane of existence?  If he can, then can he also make himself come back
after he's gone?  If so, then can he make himself go away so strongly that
he cannot bring himself back no matter how hard he tries?

I submit that there are things that God cannot do.  Discuss.  :)

--Todd