 Off-Topic / Debate / 1806
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:36:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> writes:
[...]
Does this mean that God is caught by surprise all the time?  Probably, but
then probably not.  He can see into our hearts and our minds, and He has
determined what we're capable of.  But consider:  He's saddened a lot in the
Scriptures, yet He's also overjoyed a lot, too.  I would think that this
indicates a lot of free will at work.  He certainly has a plan for this
world (would you create one without a purpose?), and I wouldn't be surprised
if it were written down, it'd have quite a lot of "plan B's".

Questions:

If this little Universe we're in is a simple enough dynamical system that
all aspects of it can be pre-known by God, or if God can compute the answer
faster than the machine (the Universe) itself can, then why did God create
such a simple Universe?  Why not something more complex?

You created Lugnet. Why not something more complex?

Can God do anything?  If the answer to that is Yes, then could He create a
Universe which is more complex than he can understand and predict and
pre-know every aspect of?  (Remember when Data asked the holodeck to create
a character that could defeat him?)

That does not mean that Data didn't have observable shortcomings. But Noonian
Sung knew everything about Data.

If God can do anything, can he create
something so complex that he can no longer understand it?  (It's extremely
easy, for example, for us humans to create things so complex that we can no
longer understand them.)

"Anything" is a much misused word. :-) But in the case of humans, we don't
really create, so much as rearrange things we find around us. It would be a
some kinda freak accident if someone who didn't know what they were doing made
something that worked that was more complex than their understanding. It seems
like the odds of that happening grow against it geometrically with each
variable.

If God can do anything, then can he make himself disappear from his own
plane of existence?

Define "disappear" :-) Also that implies that he is visible, another can o'
worms.

If he can, then can he also make himself come back
after he's gone?

Gone where? :-)

If so, then can he make himself go away so strongly that
he cannot bring himself back no matter how hard he tries?

Define "away" :-)  Are you saying it's impossible for God to "get lost"?

I submit that there are things that God cannot do.  Discuss.  :)

Ah, the dreadful vacuum of the illusion of time well spent ;-)

-Tom McD.
when replying, hi, I'm Tom, and I'm a spamcakeoholic...  hi Tom..