 Off-Topic / Debate / 17846
Re: This should be required reading for this group...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:40:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
http://www.akat.com/reasoning.htm

This is a poorly-written essay based on the garbage currently taught in
"Logic" classes. It badly plagiarizes the popular but flawed "justified true
belief" definition for knowledge, Venn diagrams which bastardize the law of
excluded middle, and that stupid verse about the bear dancing. It shows a
distaste for the idea of essentials. It does not define its terms.  It
somehow avoids the accepted terms: valid, invalid, coherence,
correspondence, while stealing their meaning. There's that annoying emphasis
on chess that plagues philosophers.  It features grammar so twisted it makes
symbolic logic look good. It lurches tantalizingly in the right direction
and then undermines itself. It fails to be concise.

I gather the author's main point toward the end is that students should
outline their arguments (or syllogisms) for clarity. But he writes so
explicitly stilted about it that I am not sure.

By the way, the author is wrong about the argument whether the sun goes
around the earth. I can explain if anybody's interested.

-Erik