 Off-Topic / Debate / 17715
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:01:07 GMT

There are times when people used guns
against agents of the government productively.

Example?  And could you clarify "productively"?  I can't think of any in
recent years that ended rosily for the private citizens, but maybe I'm missing
something.

Well, it all does hinge on how you'd mean "productively."  I'd claim that
the defenders at Ruby Ridge defended themselves productively.  But, I think
that even though I think their use of arms probably increased the casualty
rate.  No one would know of the Weavers' injust treatment if it hadn't
turned into a blood bath.

*That's* an interesting point!  I'm sure Ms. Weaver, his son, and his dog
would consider the incident less than "productive," but as an object lesson
to the rest of us, your argument has some merit.

I guess the Branch Davidian massacre could be cited, but it seems less clear
cut somehow.

  Ditto in this case, too.  I guess it's important to keep straight the
concepts of "personally productive" and "globally productive."  It might not
be too rewarding for the dead or maimed, but the message goes out nonetheless.

And I knew this guy Alex back in St. Louis who forced a cop at gunpoint, so
the story goes, to stop beating a black loiterer in what is widely assumed
to be a racially motivated incident.

  I'd like to read about that one.  Hard to defend the cop's actions, of
course, but without more info it's little more than an anecdote. And there's
an immediate opposite side of the coin, such as "I knew of a guy who held
the cops at bay with an assault rifle so his friend could rape a woman."
  What happened to Alex?

As someone else (Mike P?) cited, the mere knowledge (of policy-makers) that
so many of us are armed is productive routinely.  They can push us slowly,
but if they push too far too fast, we will snap and start firing.  So they
only push slowly.

  The "frog in the pan" analogy.  Very true.

   Dave!