 Off-Topic / Debate / 17622
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:17:26 GMT

David:

What William has stated is more or less the reasoning behind the 2nd
Amendment, but it also goes back to feudal times.  Freemen bear arms -- it's
a right and a responsibility.

Read "The Federalist Papers".  If you disagree, fine.  Just stop acting like
the 2nd Amendment was written in the last 20 years.

Quoteth Dave

Furthermore, as sometimes I am prone to doing, *if* I concede your full
understanding of the 2nd, can't we all just say it was a dumb-ass ammendment
written in a time before street lights and police, and it should be stricken
from the books?  The frontier *has* been tamed (yes is quoted from WW--get
over it ;) )

and

Perhaps times change.  Perhaps people change.  Perhaps the truths that were
'self evident' when the DOI and the constitution were written are not
perhaps the same truths today--just for starters, we have the Police *and*
we have streetlights.  Well looky that--perhaps we can grow up and find
*better* ways of doing things instead of everybody walking around with guns,
waiting for someone else to step on  their foot.  Moreover, perhaps we can
look at things again and see how we may have been misguided (as in 'under
God' in the DOI), and perhaps we may have misinterpreted some things that
were written, not only 200+ years ago, but also 2000ish years ago.  Perhaps
being beholden to a piece of paper is not such a good idea.

and so many other locations--which part in my posting makes you think that
*I* think the 2nd was written less than 20 years ago.  If there's someone
being misrepresented in this thread, I'm your guy.

FWIW, I do not believe that the government protects my freedoms.  I think it
operates to the contrary of my freedoms as a known, lesser of all possible
evils as set up by the founders of the republic.  If you think the govt. is
your "friend" -- well, I think you have it all wrong.

And again, misrepresented:

Quoteth Dave

K, if you wish to misinterpret the 'if a law is unjust there are ways to
work within the system to get rid of said law' go ahead.  It comes with the
territory of... anyone... anyone--right--a Democracy.

Do I think the gov't is my friend?  Do I think, or ever say, that the gov't
won't pass a dumb-ass law?  Not once do I say this.  However, I'm not one
for throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  I'm not one to go off on a
shooting spree if something doesn't go my way.  I don't have a revolution
waiting just under the surface, ready to erupt when things don't go my way.
I believe that in a democratic process the people will do what's best for
the people.  If you don't like this democratic process, well there are
plenty of non-democratic countries you can move to, and they prob'ly like
guns as much as you do--I think lots of 'em even walk around with guns
openly.  As for me, I'll stick with what we have, and I'll work within the
system to make it better.

"Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it
is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." -- George Washington

Again, we are in a society which elects its government.  We are its master,
as well as its servants--if we don't like our masters, we can vote 'em out
of office.  End of story.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." --Thomas Jefferson to
William Stephens Smith, private letter.

-- Hop-Frog

And if we have a stong and healthy tree of liberty, tyrants can't happen,
therefore no need for the blood of patriots to be spilled.--David Koudys to
LUGNET, not so private letter.

Dave K.