 Off-Topic / Debate / 17623
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:31:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William R. Ward writes:

Let me say it again, but more concisely:

Only an armed population can fight back against a totalitarian regime.
The 2nd amendment is meant to allow the population to be armed for
just this reason.

And in a fledging new democratic country, I can see why you would need that
kind of ammendment.  However, 1776 was a very long time ago.  It's 2002.
Your country has grown up into democracy and found out that--well looky
that--it works without guns 'n stuff.  How do I know this?  Nixon walked
out, and no gun was needed.  If the most powerful man steps out of office
due to the power of law, the power of the people, your gun is irrelevant.

Yes, if democracy failed and a totalitarian regime took over, gun
control would be put in place.  But until that point, having it be
legal means more people would own guns.  That's a good thing if your
government has declared martial (not marshall, BTW) law, suspended
elections, etc. and there is no recourse left for the people other
than armed rebellion.

Wow, you learn something new every day.  I always assumed that it was
'marshall' as in when the marshall (sherrif) locked down the town in times
of need and imposed curfews... Thanks.

I don't think that's going to happen in the USA anytime soon, but it
has happened in a lot of other places, so don't think it never can.

--Bill.

I don't think it can happen in the USA anytime now or later, for the law
won't let it happen, the people won't let it happen, capitalism and
democracy won't let it happen.  We are not the age of 5.  We do not need a
security blanket--that is all the gun in your house is--a security
blanket--it gives you a false sense of security.  We're more mature than
that.  We have 'the power of the people'.  An adult trusts, a child needs a
security blanket.  Grow up.  Put away your security blanket--I'll give you a
clue--you don't need it.

All in my very humble opinion.

Dave K.