 Off-Topic / Debate / 17236
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:30:43 GMT

Do you agree that the scientific method is a good tool for investigating
_anything_ that can be perceived?  That would be my assertion.

Chris

Anything in the physical world can be investigated by the scientific method.
Art maybe made of physical properties such as clay, rock, dyes(paint) on
canvas, whatever.  However, most artists say they were 'inspired', whether
by a muse or something.  Science can understand what makes up the art, but
it cannot give us a point by point method for producing art.  If it could,
we'd all be Picasso's.  I mean, there was that computer program on that
website to help you make your own <can't remember artist with the lines and
the coloured squares> and it was a neat thing.  And that can help me make a
LEGO mosaic and I can say that's art, and, to me, it is.  It won't be art to
my dad, though.

Kadinsky?  Anyway, read Dr. Betty Edwards "Drawing on the Right Side of the
Brain" (I believe there is a new edition "The New Drawing on the Right Side
of the Brain").  She uses numerous techniques for teaching drawing that in
fact had been around for years, she just used borrowed scientific research
into the human brain and put an explanation to why those techniques worked.

And let me mention that a spider web is, to me, quite the piece of art as
well.  Leftist thinking or Rightist thinking does not an artist make, nor
intelligence or stupidity a defining factor for art, or for that matter,
even *human*.  I find beauty and art everywhere--the leaves in the fall, the
spots on a leopard, whatever...  But we even have a french phrase to
describe such things 'je ne sais quoi'  - it has a certain factor which is
*inexplainable*.

And I don't think, as has been apparently shown here in this very thread,
science can perceive infinite.  We don't have to understand, we don't have
to be able to write down a text book of 'Infinity for Dummies', but we can
comprehend that there's something 'outside' what the 5 senses tell us.

What would that be?  You keep piping up with that line, but it is nothing
more than an emotional appeal.

An emotional appeal that cannot be rationally logically, scientifically
explained, and yet, omigoodness-there it is--it *does* exist.  It exists
even though it's *outside* science.  Is it real?  I think it is.  Is it
important?  Inasmuch as people's feelings, their emotions are important for
us being human.  Does science *care*?  Prob'ly not.  But if it dosn't factor
into science, then it must exist *outside* of science.  So there you are.

say there isn't anything is robbing us of, well, the infinite.  Some
philosopher once said that if it can't be proven to me, it does not exist.
Well philosophy is all well and dandy, but *my* take is that this concept
reduces us, and there's my problem--reductionism.  A metaphor would be 'lost
in the translation', which is probably a little better than most of the
metaphors I've been coming up with (sorry 'bout that).

A philosopher isn't a scientist.  If philosophy is robbing you of a
philosphical idea, then the problem resides entirely in the philosphic
realm, so why all the discussion of science?

No, 'Sciencism' is robbing me of my humanity.  You may say it's all fine and
dandy to say that science covers *all* aspects of your life, but just by my
God's very nature, it cannot encompass mine.  It also cannot encompass the
'je ne sais quoi' of life, either, so foget about *my* God, and just know
that science does not, and cannot, know all.

So yes, the bottom line for me is the scientific method is wonderful for
investigating that which can be understood by science (i.e. the physical
universe).  To say it's good for *everything* is making science into a god.
That would be my assertion.

The final argument of the religious is invariably to reduce the opposition
to its own terms.  Belief in god is blind.  It is a matter of faith.
Science isn't a matter of faith (no, don't start in on you have to have
faith in your senses - science doesn't trust those either).  Science isn't a
god because it isn't a matter of faith.  Further, science doesn't claim that
it is good for everything - those are words constantly put into its mouth by
the religious so it can knock down a straw man.

Bruce

Belief in God is *faith*.  Your very wording is demeaning.  You want me to
give you respect (which I give you anyways 'cause that's just who I am) but
you demean and put down my ideas and ideals and subscribe them to the realm
of some sort of 'mass dellusion'?  Yes you are doing that by saying 'belief
in God is blind'.

Not once have *I* asserted that science claims that it is good for
everything.  All my posts have stated time and time agian that science can
not, by its very nature, explain everything.  That's what some other
proponents of scientific godhood claim.  I have mentioned that I don't have
a problem with science.  Science is wonderful.  Science is great.
"Sciencism" reduces the scope of everything into itself--there's your straw
man, my friend.  Sciencism claims that which cannot be observed or studied
via the scientific method cannot be shown, therefore cannot be believed
therfore cannot exist.

Show me *any* evidence that God exists - those are words constantly put into
my face by the close minded people who believe in the god of science so they
can knock down my *belief*.

Dave