 Off-Topic / Debate / 17229
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:58:11 GMT

Do you agree that the scientific method is a good tool for investigating
_anything_ that can be perceived?  That would be my assertion.

Chris

Anything in the physical world can be investigated by the scientific method.
Art maybe made of physical properties such as clay, rock, dyes(paint) on
canvas, whatever.  However, most artists say they were 'inspired', whether
by a muse or something.  Science can understand what makes up the art, but
it cannot give us a point by point method for producing art.  If it could,
we'd all be Picasso's.  I mean, there was that computer program on that
website to help you make your own <can't remember artist with the lines and
the coloured squares> and it was a neat thing.  And that can help me make a
LEGO mosaic and I can say that's art, and, to me, it is.  It won't be art to
my dad, though.

Kadinsky?  Anyway, read Dr. Betty Edwards "Drawing on the Right Side of the
Brain" (I believe there is a new edition "The New Drawing on the Right Side
of the Brain").  She uses numerous techniques for teaching drawing that in
fact had been around for years, she just used borrowed scientific research
into the human brain and put an explanation to why those techniques worked.

And I don't think, as has been apparently shown here in this very thread,
science can perceive infinite.  We don't have to understand, we don't have
to be able to write down a text book of 'Infinity for Dummies', but we can
comprehend that there's something 'outside' what the 5 senses tell us.

What would that be?  You keep piping up with that line, but it is nothing
more than an emotional appeal.

say there isn't anything is robbing us of, well, the infinite.  Some
philosopher once said that if it can't be proven to me, it does not exist.
Well philosophy is all well and dandy, but *my* take is that this concept
reduces us, and there's my problem--reductionism.  A metaphor would be 'lost
in the translation', which is probably a little better than most of the
metaphors I've been coming up with (sorry 'bout that).

A philosopher isn't a scientist.  If philosophy is robbing you of a
philosphical idea, then the problem resides entirely in the philosphic
realm, so why all the discussion of science?

So yes, the bottom line for me is the scientific method is wonderful for
investigating that which can be understood by science (i.e. the physical
universe).  To say it's good for *everything* is making science into a god.
That would be my assertion.

The final argument of the religious is invariably to reduce the opposition
to its own terms.  Belief in god is blind.  It is a matter of faith.
Science isn't a matter of faith (no, don't start in on you have to have
faith in your senses - science doesn't trust those either).  Science isn't a
god because it isn't a matter of faith.  Further, science doesn't claim that
it is good for everything - those are words constantly put into its mouth by
the religious so it can knock down a straw man.

Bruce