 Off-Topic / Debate / 17018
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:48:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

What is it about evolution that seems so illogical to you?

If I may pose a question:  Evolution is basically the theory that stuff comes
from stuff that came before it.  If you take stuff all the way back to the Big
Bang (or whatever universe starting event you wish), where logically did
*that* stuff come from?

I think my own explanation is that your question forces conditions that
weren't. Like me asking you if you stopped killing babies or some nonsense
like that, since you never *were* killing babies in the first place.

Essentially, there *is* no "before" the Big Bang. Humans perceive time (and
space for that matter) as some sort of Newtonian line, going forever
backwards and forwards-- but really, it's not. Energy defines time, and visa
versa. Hence, with no energy, there's no time, and without time, there's no
energy. And since matter & energy are the same, yadda yadda... Basically the
answer is that it's a big kludge, and the question is kinda making
assumptions it shouldn't be making.

However, I think the best explanation is that time is *curved*. Hence, the
universe is curved back upon itself. What was before the Big Bang? We were.
Right now is before *and* after the Big Bang. Similar to California being
west of Maryland. Is it west of Maryland? Yes. But it's *also* east of
Maryland if you go around the world far enough.

At some point, you'd have to acknowledge that some
stuff came from nowhere, which seems illogical within the perimeters of
evolution (to me, at least).

Well, I'd pose the same question on Creationism. Where'd God come from?

The other thing that always gets me about Creationism is that Creationists
often say something like "I can't imagine something as complex as a human
being something that came out of non-sentient thought". Or something to the
effect of the universe being too beautiful and complex a place to NOT be the
creation of some being with a specific intent. But I just reverse that on
anyone who says such a thing: I can't imagine God being something that's not
the product of some non-sentient being. God's too fancy and amazing and
complicated to be something naturally occurring-- so I can't accept the
explanation that "God was *always* there" or some such. That just doesn't
jive with me...

DaveE