 Off-Topic / Debate / 16851
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:06:27 GMT

There is nothing with saying the USofA is great.  My original issue was with
saying it is the "Greatest" nation.  The US is great, for numerous reasons
which I may expound on, but it is arrogance and conceit to say it is the
Greatest nation.

Fine.  Just show me a better one.

Yes there is opportunity.  Yes people are allowed to do as they please for
freedom and justice for all.  These are good things, they make the US great.
But I state again, is not making the Greatest Nation on the planet.

And I say again-- pick a greater one.

You are great because your people make it so.  The Constitution was a good
starting point, but people a)must come first and b) evolve.  To be slaves to
a piece of paper will make a country stagnant and unchanging.

How can one say that we are great because of our people, and OTOH we are a
nation of immigrants (people from *other* countries).  Our people are
indistinguishable from the people of other countries.  What is different is
that here, those people are *free*!  And the Constitution is what safeguards
those freedoms.  If we stagnate and remain unchanged in our defense of
liberty-- dude, that is a *good* thing!

The thousands who sacrificed before the US decided that it would be in their
best interests to join the war.  I think its historically accurate to say
that most fights the US has bee in has been for internal reasons.  Britain
started WWII because of what Germany did to someone else.

Pearl Harbor was hardly "internal".  And since when is it now known that
*Britain* started WWII???

So it all depends on how you define 'greatest'.

I define "greatest" by how a country treats its citizens.  The people of the US
of A are the freest people in the world, and *that* is what makes us the
greatest.  The fact that we are the greatest economic, military, and cultural
presence on earth is only a testament to that fact, not reasons for it.

What's the no. 1 cause of death for black males aged between 18 and 35 in
the United States?  Homicide.

What's the point here?

Yeah, don't tell me the US is the greatest nation on the planet.

I'll not only tell you, I'll tell you again.  I am proud to be an American, and
on the eve of the anniversary of our independence, I'll tell you this.  I am
not saying that America doesn't have problems-- of course we do.  We are in the
middle of a huge cultural struggle right now.  We have just as many problems as
anyone else.  But we face far graver dangers from the fact that we are a free
society than from any external source.

We are great because we are free, and we are the greatest because we are the
freest.

God bless America!

-John