 Off-Topic / Debate / 16753
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:25:20 GMT

Of course it was a joke when Bill Clinton would say, "God bless America"-- he
wouldn't know God from a cigar butt, but he still said it.

So in addition to being a self-admited homophobic, misogynist bigot, you
also presume to judge who can sincerely invoke God's name?  How many times
have you cast the first stone, John?

Again you miss my point.  The name of God is invoked by all, whether they
actually believe in God or not-- it is a *cultural* thing.  As to your first
sentence, I'm not sure what that's about.

Because it's American.  It's as American as baseball and apple pie.

Atheism is as American as apple pie.  My right to be protected against
overzealous religious propaganda is as American as apple pie. Separation of
church and state is as American as apple pie.  Freedom of religion, and
freedom FROM religion are as American as apple pie.

What?  You don't like baseball?  Tough.  The same goes for God language.

You seem to be pretending that Richard or Bruce or I am insisting that no
citizen maintain his own religious beliefs, and we certainly are not
claiming that.  Instead, we are requiring that Congress, in accordance with
The Constitution of The United States of America, not establish a religion.

*a* religion.  Using God language doesn't establish *a* religion.  How do you
explain Jefferson envoking God all of the time in his writing?  Certainly *he*
believed in separation of church and state?  If I must I'll go dig up Madison
quotations where he uses God language.  Please address this seeming
contradiction.

That is entirely separate from your perception that God is an American(1)
and is frankly irrelevant to questions of the founding fathers' religious
views.  I don't care if Jefferson was, in his on beliefs, a full blown
practicing Scientologist;

I don't either.  I never wanted to bring religious flavors into this debate,
but you all seem to think that that is a hidden agenda of mine.  Please try not
to read into my argument too deeply.  I do not have the full agenda of the
Conservative Christian right hidden in my pocket.

the fact remains that he believed absolutely in
the freedom of religion and the separation of church and state.

Agreed, Dave!  Now just explain to me why Jefferson began the Virginia Statute
of Religious Freedom thusly:

"WHEREAS Almighty God hath created the mind..."  That's all I'm asking for.

Why do you
invoke your perception of the founding fathers' beliefs but at the same time
only choose to adhere to the ones that are convenient for your agenda?

What *is* my "agenda"?  To leave well-enough *alone*.  That's it.  *I* am not
the one trying to rock the boat.

-John