 Off-Topic / Debate / 16755
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:50:44 GMT

Instead, we are requiring that Congress, in accordance with
The Constitution of The United States of America, not establish a religion.

*a* religion.  Using God language doesn't establish *a* religion.

If you can really believe this, then please explain who this God is.  I assume,
though correct me if I'm wrong, that the big G indicates the god of Abraham --
Jehovah (or whatever) and no other.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean Ashur,
Odin, or Lucifer.

So if the US treats the followers of Jehovah as insiders, how is that _not_
respecting an establishment of religion?

It seems fundamental to me, to view religious anonymity as a requisite of
religious freedom.  To force kids to choose between a) affirming some
attachment to Jehovah or b) calling attention to themselves for refusing, is to
invite differential treatment.

Chris