 Off-Topic / Debate / 16752
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:18:43 GMT

Hmm.  Check out this letter from TJ written in 1803-- perhaps you don't know
EXACTLY what he thought about Christianity after all:
http://www.angelfire.com/co/JeffersonBible/jeffbsyl.html

John, I don't really get this cite of yours.

I was responding to part of Richard's post:

"I don't really care how this "bs" Pledge of Allegiance issue (bread and
circuses) is decided, but you raised a bigger question:  whether the
founders were a) religious and (and by assumption and because we all know
what religion fronts the right) b) christians.  It is painfully obvious, to
everyone but the fools and hypocrites Jefferson so disdained, EXACTLY what
the founders thought on both issues."

He wrote that it was "painfully obvious"..."EXACTLY" what Jefferson felt about
Christianity.  I cited it to show that Jefferson's disdain for Christianity
wasn't as hostile as RM made it out to be, that's all.

-John