 Off-Topic / Debate / 16681
Re: Capital Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:03:32 GMT

    Regardless of one's own views on capital punishment, it seems like bad
methodology to base one's report (and, therefore, argument) upon
deliberately gerrymandered data in this fashion.  Can anyone verify this
info?  I'd hate to think the goofy propagandist might be correct, but I
don't have solid data to oppose him.

Yes, there are three type of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.  One
should be wary of them.

  And correlation doesn't equal causation, except when convenient for one's
agenda!  8^)

Personally, I don't trust the government enough to
get executing people right regardless of statistics either way.

  A tangential but related point:  On Saturday I chanced to hear some of the
Mike Reagan radio show on which Mike (with typical, laser precision)
condemned "Liberals" as anti-American bordering on traitors, in response to
a phone call with a Liberal journalist who expressed concerns that Jose
Padilla is being held without bail or an attorney or even formal charges.
Reagan said that, at some point, we "just have to trust that the government
will do the right thing," to which the journalist said that, if we're just
going to trust the gov't, we might was well get rid of all due process,
since it would be superfluous.
  What kills me about this is that so-called Liberals are *constantly*
condemned by the Conservative drumbeat of "Liberal big government," but a
staunch Conservative wants to trust the government's intentions, and the
Conservative condemns Liberals who suggest that such governmental hugeness
should be restrained.
  I suppose if this had occurred during the Clinton administration, and if
Clinton had similarly detained Padilla without due process, Conservative
radio hosts would be just as supportive as they are of the Bush
administration...

     Dave!