 Off-Topic / Debate / 16677
Re: Capital Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:46:40 GMT

Can anyone verify this
info?  I'd hate to think the goofy propagandist might be correct, but I
don't have solid data to oppose him.

Thanks for any insights you care to provide!

Can't help you there, but here's an interesting argument regarding capital
punishment-

Most murders occur in conjection with other crimes (theft, rape, etc).  If a
criminal *knows* that the death penalty for murder is not an option, the
incentive to erase eye witnesses to his crime (ie victim) is much higher.  It
even *helps* him get away with his crime.  The *absence* of a death
penalty may
help to *increase* the murder rate (an inverse of the death penalty as a
deterrent)

I'd want to see some stats on that.

Me too. I always understood that most murders were committed by husbands
boyfriends, fathers, step-dads etc?

On the broader subject of the death penalty, I think it is good that the US
has finally decided to stop executing criminals "learning difficulties". I
also think that it is good that only juries in the US can condemn a men to
death.

I suppose Justice Scalia would atribute my views on this to me being "european":

==+==
"Abolition has taken its hold in post-Christian Europe," Justice Scalia
said. He argued that non-believers in Europe found death frightening because
they did not believe in an afterlife, but that in America stronger religious
beliefs meant that the death penalty was seen as acceptable.

"For the believing Christian, death is no big deal," he added. "I do not
find the death penalty immoral."
==+==

I never thought of Europe as being "post-Christian". :-/

The rest may be read here:
US ruling overturns 150 death sentences
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4447672,00.html

Scott A