 Off-Topic / Debate / 1658
Re: An interesting URL from my favorite newspaper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:56:18 GMT

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:06:53 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 21:07:42 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Read it, then ask yourself, were the founding fathers such fools, or is

Hey, you said it, I didn't ;)

Sorry if you're having trouble recognising a rhetorical argument there.
Try not to fall asleep in class. More slowly for the rhetoric impaired.

Sorry if you're having trouble recognising a joke even if the smiley
is staring you in the face ans shouting: "HEY! This is a joke!".

- They were not fools. Rather, they were brilliant.

That is your opinion. Stating it as fact does not make it so.[1]

- There is nothing fundamentally different about the nature of
government now compared to then.

Really? So the entire development of the human race since 1790 means
nothing?

- Their mechanism for preventing government from getting out of control
worked quite well for over 125 years

And, of course, everything that made America the great nation it is
today happened afterward..

- we should undo some of what has accreted in the last 90 or so.

The dark ages were characterised by feudalism and disrespect for
creation and knowledge. Not exactly how I'd characterize the 1790s. You
fell asleep in history class too, I guess.

So I must have learned to have exactly the same opinion as you, if
only I hadn't fallen asleep in class.[2]

Who's making the ad-hominem attacks, Larry?

Indeed.

Good riddance to tyranny and hello to a government of laws, not men.

Except for those who have good lawyers..

Good riddance to a society  founded on the premise of hereditary
nobility, and hello to a society founded on the premise that all men
have equal rights.

Except for those which aren't really "men", of course.

Good riddance to the notion that all other countries and cultures are
destined to be under the suzerainty of the British King and hello to the
notion of honest friendship with all who seek it and entangling
alliances with none.

Honest friendship with all who seek it and entagling relationships
with none? I've never particularly noticed _that_ in any US foreign
policy.

Jasper

[1] Note for the record that I don't think they were fools either.

[2] In _my_ history class, the 1790s were not a greatly enlightened
age, _especially_ not in the (current) US.