 Off-Topic / Debate / 1657
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:42:09 GMT

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999 22:59:19 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Oh, I get it. The choices according to you are:

- the majority thumps the minority over the head with a stick
- everyone with a stick tries to thump everyone else over the head with
a stick

Not much of a difference there, is there. (1)

So call me a pessimist.

Bzzt. thanks for playing but you missed a few. How about trying to
devise a system where it is very hard, and therefore very unlikely, to
push anyone around. There are no utopias, but Libertarianism offers a
way to make that happen. Not perfect, but certainly not a dystopia, as
your unproven adhominem alleges.

Ad hominem? Sorry, but "Libertopia (might equal) dystopia (as easily
as) utopia" is hardly an ad hominem. It is directed at the word, not
the man.

Anyway, that aside.. I haven't yet seen you, or any other libertarian,
explain how you envision that you will make it hard for anyone to push
anyone else around. Privatising the police seems like an extremely
good way to make it easy for certain people (namely, the police, or
those whose orders the police follow for whatever reason) to push
others around. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, quaereo.

I already have grown out of it. No one pushes me around and I don't push
anyone around either. You can too. Any time you want to grow up and out
of it, come on in, the water's fine. Renounce the initiation of the use
of force, you'll like it.

Uh-huh. I didn't say any one person couldn't. I think that it is
impossible for mankind as a whole to do this.

Namely: There will always be exceptions. These exceptions will gather
followers, because they're successful in the short term. Once they
reach critical mass, they're successful in the long term. I believe
this is how organisations as diverse as the Mafia via the Yakuza to
Fidel's got started.

Jasper