 Off-Topic / Debate / 16503
  Re: Americans, North Americans, Americasians (was Liberal Media)

(...) (ka-snip of worthy observations regarding Bush, Enron, the Conservative Media, etc.). (...) United Statesian is so confusing to those of us who live so close to the border of the United States of Mexico. Which United Statesian are they (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) (Note: there are other nations with "United States" on their name: Brazil is oficcially "Federative Republic of the United States of Brazil". Obviously, they call themselves brazilians) (...) I dispute the term - isn't there a single America (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Carrion? ;-) John (22 years ago, 30-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Central African(s). Bruce (no, really, I looked it up <g>) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) USians is the one I usually hear. (YooEssian) (...) No; America is "place of Amerigo;" if you have two continents, they become "the places of Amerigo," or "Americas." I guess maybe by the rules of Latin it might be "Americae" but I think (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) I stand corrected (I checked since for Portuguese too, in which case both terms can be used; traditionally, we did not refer to a separation between the two continents - now we apparently do) (...) That was before I was born! (J.B. Bokassa was (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) So technically they share exactly the same problem as Americans: the noun refers purely to geography, not the people. You are not alone!... :-) Pedro (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) I think they are the Ubangi and some other tribes, and no, I think you got the noun exactly opposite: America is the country, Americans are the people. Note the (s) after Central African - cut and pasted exactly as written ("Noun:" that (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Check this if you want to see who lives in the CAR and what languges they speak: (URL) best LFB n.b.: The term "tribes" is very pejorative. Sorry, it's a pet peeve. If you want to know why, I can elaborate over in .debate, complete with links. (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Perhaps I'm confusing American Indian practices where I've always understood it to be okay to use the terms "tribe" or "tribal". Perhaps I'm relying too much on my Apache co-workers, who don't have a problem with "Indian" either, (beyond of (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Yeah, it's part of the problem with the US public's perception of Africa and Africans. "Tribe" tends to imply unchanging, eternal objectness, primitivism, isolation, and unsophistication. "Tribalism" is the term given to the artificial (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Tribes (was: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians))

(...) I'm finding this stuff fascinating. I don't associate any of those things with tribalism, but it seems from the reading you provided that there are at least several people who see this as a problem. I think of tribalism (or at least what _I_ (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Let me interrupt: not to me (or at least not to date). To me it's a grouping of people, possibly linguistic, certainly of shared traditions and values. But I suppose I'm not typical of the American public (Oooooooo, are we back to that United (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tribes (was: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians))

(...) The problem with "tribalism" as it's called is that it tends to be insular--that's the implication of the term. Communitarianism as I understand it needs to owrk on many levels; in that sense it's like a single organization with local chapters (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Noted. I made some confusion when translating this into my own native language, then back; what I meant wasn't exactly what I wrote, and I only realize that now. Sorry 'bout it. :-( Clarification: I meant to express the similaritude in the (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)