 Off-Topic / Debate / 1627
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:07:44 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:36:03 GMT, "Christopher L. Weeks"
<c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:

I'm not speaking for Larry here, but some Libertarians agree that the
government is big and needs to be scaled back, but don't believe that
the original concept of our government is without flaw.  I would be
gladdened by what you suggest, but it would just grow out of control
again.  And democracy is flawed.  The whole deal with democracy is that
the majority gets to push the minorities around and I think that's a bad
system.  (It beats minorities pushing majorities around - which is what
it replaced - but ideally no one would be pushed around.)

So what do you want? Total anarchy? That's minorities pushing
majorities around again.

Being pushed around is a natural state of being for humankind.

Maybe one day we'll grow out of it, but it'll be another few centuries
at the _very_ least.

Jaspert