 Off-Topic / Debate / 1628
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:11:47 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:00:46 GMT, "Christopher L. Weeks"
<c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:

I think environmental protection and animal "rights" are harder than
defense to privatize.  In fact, I think defense is relatively easy.
Probably easier than roads.

In one sense, yes.

In another, hell no. Defense _cannot_ be privatised, _especially_ not
in Liberdystopia.

The then-privatised DoD would not only no longer be under direct
government control, but it would have to compete with others. I for
one do not wish a Microsoft-esque giant to have to defend the realm.

Actually, the Secret Service would be a _hell_ of a lot more difficult
to privatise than even defense.

Jasper