 Off-Topic / Debate / 15844
  Pay per mile in UK?

Seem to recall some debate a while ago about privatising roads - here's a link at The Observer: (URL) wanna know how much it's gonna cost to make sure all vehicles have a "black box", and how often they're gonna sample. There's an awful lot of (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay per mile in UK?

(...) It is a LT proposal (10 years). I expect that *if* it goes ahead, the technology (based on GPS) will be fitted to new cars. In 10 years, I expect GPS will be almost standard and cheap anyhow(?). Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay per mile in UK?

(...) you simply mean to be pointing out how trivial the accounting would be by using this kind of technology. (...) Cost to whom? In the US you have to have annual or semiannual vehicle inspections for safety and emissions standards. If the UK (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay per mile in UK?

(...) By that do you mean London Transport? 'cos it isn't actually one of ours. I can explain the differences between Transport for London and London Transport and Road User Charging and Congestion Charging if you'd like. I expect that *if* it goes (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay per mile in UK?

(...) I thought he meant Long Term. Chris (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay per mile in UK?

(...) I meant "Long Term". It is actually a "ET" (Edinburgh Transport) system. David Begg is (was?) an Edinburgh councillor (as well as being a transportation expert). (...) A satellite dish on the roof will do no damage to the dash! (...) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)