 Off-Topic / Debate / 15716
Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 21:58:09 GMT

In the worst-case scenario that you seem to be imagining, the gubmint calls a
state of emergency and the president, through FEMA and the military, controls
the nation without the input of congress.  How long do you suppose we would
support such a thing?  Ultimately they'd need our support and even the normally
passive Americans would not let that go.

Chris

I guess I'm not quite so optimistic.  The fact The People have allowed tanks
at a public event at all is disturbing.  Of course, there have probably been
situations like this before, but these security measures seem to occur more
frequently...even without the 9/11 excuse.

As for how long would we support such a thing?  So long as the majority
remains ignorant about the facts, I believe it could go on for quite some
time.  After all, the Federal Reserve and the Federal Income Tax are for the
benefit of The People right?  So why not add some military security for the
general public's safety?

I've read/heard from various news outlets, some more mainstream than others,
that Bush intends for local authorities and emergency response to be better
equipped and have faster response time.  I'm curious as to what exactly he
intends.  Emergency units already have siginificant authority during an
emergency, and I don't think the authoities need any further power.