 Off-Topic / Debate / 15705
Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:59:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

My oppinion is that this situation cannot last forever. The cost of
maintaining such measures full time is prohibitive on the long run, and • [snip]
You're assuming, of course that are government is not actually in a
perpetual State of Emergency right?  Because it could actually find a means
to fund these ultra security operations indefinately if it chose to do so,
under a State of Emergency, that is.

I don't think so.  Simply, the money has to come from somewhere and The People
aren't going to be willing to pump 75% of their produce into such security
measures.

In the worst-case scenario that you seem to be imagining, the gubmint calls a
state of emergency and the president, through FEMA and the military, controls
the nation without the input of congress.  How long do you suppose we would
support such a thing?  Ultimately they'd need our support and even the normally
passive Americans would not let that go.

Chris