 Off-Topic / Debate / 15697
Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:14:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
In addition to a list of typical fan items that are no longer allowed at the
big game and the thousands of secret service agents waiting to search and
pat down ticket holders, there are also tanks.

Feeling safer already!!

What, you never went see a football match between England and Germany? The
population living near the stadium would be pleased to have the tanks... ;-)

Now for real: I guess it is getting a bit out of hand. Sure, it is
protection; but isn't the thin line between protection and over-protection
being crossed? What's next, military at the Oscar's Night? USS Nimitz
patrolling the beaches in the summer (OK, its planes...)? Choppers guarding
the ski-jump at SLC Olympic Games?
My oppinion is that this situation cannot last forever. The cost of
maintaining such measures full time is prohibitive on the long run, and
eventually the pressure of the public will be directed towards a progressive
return to the security standards of the past (with some changes, of course;
I don't see anyone wishing for the old curbside check-in to return, at least
having thought about it deeply).
A year or so of this stuff, and eventually it will fade away. At least
visibly, and that is not too bad as a start (I guess).

Enjoy the Superbowl GAME (I dunno the time for it, hope it has not ended yet)!

Pedro