 Off-Topic / Debate / 15696
  Tanks at the Super Bowl

In addition to a list of typical fan items that are no longer allowed at the big game and the thousands of secret service agents waiting to search and pat down ticket holders, there are also tanks. Feeling safer already!! (22 years ago, 3-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl

(...) What, you never went see a football match between England and Germany? The population living near the stadium would be pleased to have the tanks... ;-) Now for real: I guess it is getting a bit out of hand. Sure, it is protection; but isn't (...) (22 years ago, 3-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl

(...) Actually, the same people in charge of security at the Super Bowl are headed to the Olympics after the game. (...) You're assuming, of course that are government is not actually in a perpetual State of Emergency right? Because it could (...) (22 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl

(...) Uh...I know lots of folks who want it back. Heck, I want it back. This airport security is highly inconvenient. I'm hoping that technological means will be able to replace these procedural security measures in short order. It is more important (...) (22 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl

(...) [snip] (...) I don't think so. Simply, the money has to come from somewhere and The People aren't going to be willing to pump 75% of their produce into such security measures. In the worst-case scenario that you seem to be imagining, the (...) (22 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl

(...) I guess I'm not quite so optimistic. The fact The People have allowed tanks at a public event at all is disturbing. Of course, there have probably been situations like this before, but these security measures seem to occur more (...) (22 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl

(...) Not really. It would be disturbing if this were standard procedure in peace time (let's not forget "W" declared war against unknown targets). Or if it kept occurring forever, under the excuse "The war is long, and the end is unforseeble (...) (22 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tanks at the Super Bowl

(...) What *are* the present security measures? Are they that intrusive? And isn't it the best way to prevent weapons/bombs in planes to "kill" the will to bring 'em? By hitting *the source*? If nobody wants to take a bomb to the plane, nobody will. (...) (22 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)