 Off-Topic / Debate / 15571
15570  |  15572
Subject:
"facts" (was Re: An armed society...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:00:27 GMT

Oh, wait... According to http://www.norc.uchicago.edu/new/guns97.pdf

I hope you realize that those facts can be taken apart just as easily as
abridged citations, right?  I am just not wasting my time picking apart the
wording and finding facts and figures to contradict yours -- I know they exist.

We aren't going to settle this discussion in any way by arguing over
statistics.

<snip>

I've been thinking about "facts" lately.  Specifically statistics, polls,
charts/graphs...etc.

If pro gun advocates use "facts" to show the need for guns, anti-gun
advocates can show just as many "facts" to show the uselessness of guns.

So what's the points of using "facts" period?  Educated/intellectual people
like facts.  But facts are largely alien to the general population as they
are more concerned about themselves and there families rather than a
"greater cause".  I am slowly learning that "facts" are merely opinions
supported by others of like minds and put to paper.  The general public
believes what it reads in the papers or sees on television and will not
challenge it (unless, of course the "news" is too far right or left).

Personal observation and manual research go a long way toward finding the
real facts.