 Off-Topic / Debate / 15606
Re: "facts" (was Re: An armed society...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:41:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

So what's the points of using "facts" period?

In an attempt to get closer to the "truth," what else would you suggest?

Educated/intellectual people like facts.

Everyone likes facts that agree with them and discard facts that disagree.
Everyone.  I find myself doing the same when reading the gun stats cited by
Dave!  And I'm at least pretty bright.  So now that we know that smart educated
people as well as dumb ignorant people do this.  So what do we do about it?

In truth, I know that I've seen stats that say different things, and that's why
I take stats presented on the net with a grain of salt.  It's not just willful
ignorance.

The general public
believes what it reads in the papers or sees on television...

Unless they disagree, and then it's just the garbage spewed by the damn media!

Personal observation and manual research go a long way toward finding the
real facts.

And often, these facts don't matter as much as we make them out to.  I know
that things are right and wrong sometimes and it doesn't much matter whether
the result correlates this way or that.

Chris