 Off-Topic / Debate / 15605
Re: An armed society...(what if?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:33:55 GMT

The individual cases are not conspiracies unto themselves.  The drug
enforcement laws are.  They only help the athorities finance themselves.
Authorities seize property then put it up for auction.  The money from the
auctions are pure profit.

The law was, in my opinion, ill-concieved in the first place and ripe for
abuse, but that doesn't mean it was some vast conspiracy to finance the
government (it was intended as a weapon against criminals).

Bruce,

I agree with your take on why the laws were placed.  However, I do think that a
conspiracy evolved.  Law enforcement's most important lobby is the continuation
of the War On Drugs.  Not because it's the right thing but because if we quit
the WOD, many, MANY police officers would have to turn to another line of work.
Without seizures, there simply wouldn't exist a budget to cover their
salaries.

We sane citizens think that would be a good thing.  The cops that will be let
go, for obvious and perfectly understandable reasons, do not.  To varrying
degrees, I think that law enforcement officials in both good and bad faith,
perpetuate their role in society by playing up the dangers of drug related
crime and by lobbying to continue the WOD.

Chris