 Off-Topic / Debate / 15604
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:50:16 GMT

But we need guns to prevent crime, right?

Oh, wait... According to http://www.norc.uchicago.edu/new/guns97.pdf

Most people took multiple precautions during the last year to protect
themselves against crime.  Out of a list of 10 possible anti-crime measures
people on average too 3.6 measures.  As Table 10 indicates, locking doors was
the most common measure taken (94%) and carrying a gun away from home was the
least common (11%).  People were then asked what measure of those they had
taken did they consider the “most effective in protecting yourself from
crime.”  Acting more aware or cautious was the first choice (41%) followed by
locking doors (24.5%).  All other precautions were much less frequently
mentioned.  Keeping a gun at home was listed as 6th most effective (4.5%) and
carrying a gun away from home as 9th most effective (1.5%).  Even among those
who used guns for anti-crime protection, few judged firearms as especially
effective.  ---Page 13

So, if I understand your implication, you're saying that taking safety measure
X is dumb if it is less helpful than safety measure Y.  Right?  Inherent in
that idea is that only one safety precaution is appropriate, right?

So if I surveyed skydivers and found that only 4% of them thought a backup
chute was really valuable, you'd take a pass on having one when jumping?  I
doubt it.

_I_ lock my doors, act aware and keep my wits about me when in strange turf,
have guns at home (don't carry any out, routinely), spend time considering
combat strategies and scenarios on my property, practice unarmed combat
techniques, maintain a social network with my neighbors so that we're watching
out for one another, read the paper, keep telephones with 911 speed-dials in
each zone of my house, secure my sliding glass doors with heavy dowels, lock
windows, etc.  Many of those individual precautions alone amount to not much,
but together they form a network of security that helps me be and feel prepared
to protect my family in case the need should arise.  Firearms are one tool in
my arsenal (so to speak :-).

Chris