 Off-Topic / Debate / 15552
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:58:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

until someone comes and takes that freedom away.  Then those "free" people
might wish they had the means to keep that freedom.

Strange that you view that as an eventuality rather than a possibility. I
prefer life in a society where we are able to take the decision to live
largely without guns. Earlier, somebody said they needed a gun for
protection from the big bad government and his neighbours. That does not
sound like freedom to me – it sounds like the exact opposite. I prefer to
keep Lego under my bed – not a gun. How about you? ;)

  But we need guns to prevent crime, right?

  Oh, wait... According to http://www.norc.uchicago.edu/new/guns97.pdf

Most people took multiple precautions during the last year to protect
themselves against crime.  Out of a list of 10 possible anti-crime measures
people on average too 3.6 measures.  As Table 10 indicates, locking doors was
the most common measure taken (94%) and carrying a gun away from home was the
least common (11%).  People were then asked what measure of those they had
taken did they consider the “most effective in protecting yourself from
crime.”  Acting more aware or cautious was the first choice (41%) followed by
locking doors (24.5%).  All other precautions were much less frequently
mentioned.  Keeping a gun at home was listed as 6th most effective (4.5%) and
carrying a gun away from home as 9th most effective (1.5%).  Even among those
who used guns for anti-crime protection, few judged firearms as especially
effective.  ---Page 13

So it's a good thing we need to protect ourselves from the
Guvmint--otherwise we wouldn't have any use for guns at all!

     Dave!