 Off-Topic / Debate / 15558
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:24:32 GMT

Oh, wait... According to http://www.norc.uchicago.edu/new/guns97.pdf

I hope you realize that those facts can be taken apart just as easily as
abridged citations, right?  I am just not wasting my time picking apart the
wording and finding facts and figures to contradict yours -- I know they exist.

We aren't going to settle this discussion in any way by arguing over
statistics.  BTW, the reason I quoted from the abridged citation list was
just to give the discussion some historical colour.  I hope people realize
that the bearing of arms is a tradition couched in thousands of years of
wisdom. Frankly, not much in the world leads me to believe that giving up my
guns is a good idea.

So it's a good thing we need to protect ourselves from the
Guvmint--otherwise we wouldn't have any use for guns at all!

Y'know, characterizing this concern in that way is kinda low.  I suppose
"guvmint" is intended to be some sort of subliterate, well-accented voice.
Perhaps a redneck, or inbred bumpkin?  Try again, I am a well educated latino...

I think I have mentioned before that my own family has been tortured in
another country while they were in police custody, later to be released --
no charges were even filed -- this is a torture technique well recognized by
Amnesty International (i.e. detainees are tortured seemingly pointlessly, it
is a technique that inspires fear and tightens control on a population).  I
have a friend from junior college who lost friends and loved ones in
Guatemala. And the list goes on.

Just be glad that you don't have ready examples of government abuse right in
your face.  I do think you'd sing a different tune then...

-- Hop-Frog