 Off-Topic / Debate / 15610
Re: An armed society...(what if?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:43:19 GMT

Bruce,

I agree with your take on why the laws were placed.  However, I do think that a
conspiracy evolved.  Law enforcement's most important lobby is the continuation
of the War On Drugs.  Not because it's the right thing but because if we quit
the WOD, many, MANY police officers would have to turn to another line of work.
Without seizures, there simply wouldn't exist a budget to cover their
salaries.

We sane citizens think that would be a good thing.  The cops that will be let
go, for obvious and perfectly understandable reasons, do not.  To varrying
degrees, I think that law enforcement officials in both good and bad faith,
perpetuate their role in society by playing up the dangers of drug related
crime and by lobbying to continue the WOD.

Chris

I wouldn't call that a "conspiracy".  They don't have to be clandestine to
lobby for the continuation of the "war on drugs", in good or bad faith.  I'd
just as soon see the drugs legalized and have the drug dealers and drug-law
enforcers put out of business, and both sides are free to present their case
(inertia usually wins, alas).

As to them becoming dependent on the seizures - yup, that can become a
problem (revenue producing speed traps come to mind).  Nothing new, but
potentially more harmful.  But file it under "abuse" and not "conspiracy".

Bruce