 Off-Topic / Debate / 15456
  Re: An armed society...

(...) Eh? Where'd this come from? Are you trying to manufacture a political debate? Anyway, as a strictly amateur political scientist[1] I would never make such a blatant generalization. It depends on the culture, the state of mind of the society in (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) Yes, I've heard about Switzerland, I even passed though it once. Their knifes and watches are famous and their bank system is a paradise for tax refugees. Also Americans always confuse Sweden and Switzerland, so I sure have about it. What (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) According to my (admittedly rather poor) knowledge of Switzerland, it is the perfect example of an armed society, with one of the highest gun-ownership levels in the world. It also has a massive national service program. According to my SBS (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) It is covered in detail here: (URL) country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols. This is in a very large part (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) I don't know too much about Switzerland, but I tend to take the view of the nations as a very special place. They are kinda outsiders with respect to international politics, as they are not members of NATO nor the EU. So I'm not surprised to (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) way we can consider a system a success. Chris (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) This system is fairly similar to that in Norway. A fair amount of those men who undergo the compulsory military service are enrolled in "Heimevernet", probably fairly similar to the US National Guard. They keep an automatic rifle (AG3) at (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) The system is not to my liking on a number of levels... but I am no fan of national service. I wonder if the Swiss navy uses the same system? ;) Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) Interestingly, there was an article on BBC Radio 4 last night about crime control methods in Europe. Some facts about Switzerland: + Their crime rate is half the EU average (Switzerland is not part of the EU) + Their police force is around the (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) In a Pythonesque link, you cannot carry a Swiss Army knife into Legoland California. Even one with a brick seperator...? :-) Bruce (who had to leave his Master Tinker at Guest Relations) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) So Oslo is a bit like LEGOLand? Interesting! There are quite many toy shops (and almost all of them stock LEGO) in Oslo. My experience with other European capitals indicate that Oslo has more toy shops. But this may be related to my local (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)