 Off-Topic / Debate / 15477
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:24:49 GMT

It is covered in detail here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1566000/1566715.stm

==+==
The country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be
at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000
automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols.

This is in a very large part due to Switzerland's unique system of national
defence, developed over the centuries.

Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to
undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year
throughout most of their lives.

Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given
an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to
keep at home.

Once discharged, men serve in the Swiss equivalent of the US National Guard,
but still have to train occasionally and are given bolt rifles. Women do not
have to own firearms, but are encouraged to.
==+==

But it is not perfect:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1566000/1566321.stm

Scott, thanks for the link and summary.  But I hope that perfect isn't the only
way we can consider a system a success.

The system is not to my liking on a number of levels... but I am no fan of
national service.

I wonder if the Swiss navy uses the same system? ;)

Scott A

Chris