 Off-Topic / Debate / 15438
Re: Words…
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:03:15 GMT

Ah, well....I stayed away as long as I could, but you who what they say about
opinions....everybody has one.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Noeckel writes:
James Brown wrote:
site meant to be accessible to children

So is the rest of the internet…
Anyway, children wouldn’t necessarily pick up on those particular phrases!
Only Adults with tainted concepts developed through exposure to lewd material.

Children are curious.  I know when I (as a child) found I word I didn't
know, I looked it up.  All sorts of things children (IMHO) shouldn't be
casually exposed to show up in any 'net search engine by inserting one or
two of the words Iain used.

Interesting. So children use the internet unsupervised, I assume? Funny, but
whenever my father let me touch any part of his gun collection he made certain
of two things:that they weren't loaded and THAT I WAS SUPERVISED. Letting
children access the net without supervision is asking for trouble. I say that as
an educator who ran the school's computer lab and internet access. I know what
I'm talking about.

Please honor the Terms of Use
                                  I am!
If ‘Rectum’ irks you then you’d better go and “burn all” the school and
library anatomy books that contain the word!!! While your at it, lets stop
teachin’ sexual-education in the public school system, cause the term
‘Rectum’ may be used. Let us refrain from educating the children cause
knowledge is dangerous…………………….
(I like to get carried away some times…  :)  )

Well put! Too many people get offended so quickly by things that are ingrained
in our culture. It just goes to show that 'ignorance is bliss' is more than just
a quaint little phrase.

P.S. you think 1000Stine has such issues, NO; they’re much more liberal over
in Europe.

Yup, you're right.  So?  Lugnet's rules are.  Deal.

James

Very true. Lugnet has rules that must be obeyed. They might not be fair or even
clear in some cases, but they are the rules here and rules need to be obeyed.

-Dave