 Off-Topic / Debate / 15437
Re: Words…
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:23:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Noeckel writes:
James Brown wrote:
site meant to be accessible to children

So is the rest of the internet…
Anyway, children wouldn’t necessarily pick up on those particular phrases!
Only Adults with tainted concepts developed through exposure to lewd material.

Children are curious.  I know when I (as a child) found I word I didn't
know, I looked it up.  All sorts of things children (IMHO) shouldn't be
casually exposed to show up in any 'net search engine by inserting one or
two of the words Iain used.

Conversely, a kid really isn’t gonna run from their computer with blood
streaming from their eyes after reading what was written. The real world has
such words in it, and the playground where your kids frolic (even in
Calgary) contains FAR worse words.

Yes it does.  But the existence of something elsewhere does not excuse
tolerating it here, if it is unnecessary.  To extend your analogy to
absurdity, children have been murdered in playgrounds, so there's no point
in trying to stop children from being murdered.

And (in theory since my kids aren't old enough yet) were my children to
learn such words on the playground, I would do my best to make clear that
they were not appropriate here.

Please honor the Terms of Use
                                  I am!
If ‘Rectum’ irks you then you’d better go and “burn all” the school and
library anatomy books that contain the word!!! While your at it, lets stop
teachin’ sexual-education in the public school system, cause the term
‘Rectum’ may be used. Let us refrain from educating the children cause
knowledge is dangerous…………………….
(I like to get carried away some times…  :)  )

If I were irked by medical terminology, I'd be in big trouble - my wife is a
nurse. ;)  No, your comments didn't (IMHO) cross the line, but I think
Iain's did; sorry if that was unclear.  I don't think Iain was gleefully
trying to corrupt children or anything, but children *DO* read Lugnet, and I
think the anagrams he quoted were inappropriate.

P.S. you think 1000Stine has such issues, NO; they’re much more liberal over
in Europe.

Yup, you're right.  So?  Lugnet's rules are.  Deal.

James
(posted only to .o-t.debate, as this has been definatively settled as an
admin issue:  http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=3271 ), and has
nothing really to do with Lego.