 Off-Topic / Debate / 13719
  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

Is this "censoring" really any worse than this: US urges curb on Arab TV channel (URL) has asked Qatar to reign in the influential and editorially independent Arabic al-Jazeera television station, which gives airtime to anti-American opinions. (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKzrn5.JME@lugnet.com... (...) There was an interview with the al-Jazeera interviewer who interviewed Tony Blair on BBC this morning. He was himself ex-BBC and said that most of his colleagues (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKzrn5.JME@lugnet.com... (...) And so does the BBC. (give airtime to anti-American opinions) lawrence (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

(...) Indeed, a good deal of the staff worked for BBC Middle East. The Saudi's closed it down (it was based there) when they found it had a habit of telling the truth. Just after that al-Jazeera started up in Qatar - it was a natural move for the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

(...) Despicable. But not quite the same as broadly hinting that journalists would be murdered if they tried to report on something factual. (not opinion, mind you, but fact) So ya, it's way worse what the PA is doing. Doesn't mean the US shouldn't (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

(...) Here's a bit more. (URL) draw the conclusion that Powell may be overreacting a bit, and I tend to agree. (23 years ago, 11-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

(...) I loved this line: ==+== National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice criticized Al Jazeera for the broadcast, on the grounds that, among other things, it could be used to send coded messages to terrorist "sleepers" in the United States and (...) (23 years ago, 11-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

(...) Yes, in fact it was (...) No bet. They would have, based on the environment they operate in. (...) Actually there have been, as it turns out. All the major US networks have been requested not to show these taped missives any more and all (...) (23 years ago, 11-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

(...) I have no idea. I hope not. (...) I'm also surprised. Do you agree with it? Scott A (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  censoring

It looks like we may be censoring again: (URL) A (...) (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) DanB (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) That is why I said *may* Dan. Did you read it all? ==+== However, the move by the Pentagon simply to resort to buying exclusive rights to all the Ikonos pictures could be something of a canny move. Had it just used its legal powers of shutter (...) (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) The part that confused me was the "we". When did you get your green card? DaveE (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) It is indeed fortunate for your reputation that you said "may" (nice pre-weasel on your part) because it is in no way censorship to buy up all of some good under the terms of a previously negotiated contract. bin Laden, or the media, are (...) (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) Maybe we'll even sell them to him :) Of course the price may be non-monetary! And of course, no guarantees on picture quality, either :) DaveE (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) Here's a hypothetical: what if some company sells bin Laden et al bogus but real-seeming photos giving false information? What if, afterward, bin Laden would seek damages from the company for its deceptive product? Dave! (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) The result of course would be that I wouldn't want the judge's job, nor any part in the jury :) Honestly, I think it would depend on the company's honest intent, the ability to prove that intent, the measurment of the damages resulting to bin (...) (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) He'd have a case if the contract he signed guaranteed accuracy. But of course I suspect whatever court he tried to sue in would soon be host to a *host* of suits against HIM. Friedman tangentially touches on this in Machinery of Freedom, if (...) (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) If I remember right, these images may be released at a later date after the goverments use period is over (i.e. we are not at war). However, the article says: "According to reports, the decision to shut down access to satellite images was (...) (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) I neither have one, nor do I have any intention of getting one. When cities in the US start having castles like this in their city centre, I may consider getting one: (URL) neanderthalls say I am anti-US, I just like to make it clear that the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: censoring

(...) Larry, Read the article. Read my message. Then come back and tell me my description is inaccurate. Scott A (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)